Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tanka Bars: Buffalo…the ‘other’ red meat


August 5, 2009 -

Have you ever eaten buffalo? Until this week, I had not.

*Tanka is graciously giving away one box of traditional bars ($30.99 value with shipping included). Comment below for one entry. A winner will be selected in 1-2 weeks using random.org.

Thanks to another twitter hook-up, Linda and I met through the wonderful world of tweets. She mailed me a few samples but they did not arrive. Evidently there is a high rate of ‘disappearance’ of food related shipments. This disappoints me as postal workers are held to a code of ethics stating ‘no tampering with mail.’

Kindly, at her own expense, Linda shipped a second batch of samples to me.

When I was told “Tanka Bar products” were coming my way, I did assume that meant power bars. When I opened the package I exclaimed, “Oh! It’s like beef jerky! Only it looks to be much…much…MUCH healthier.”

My husband, knowing I am not a super adventurous eater, said: “You do know you are eating buffalo, right?”

My jaw dropped. Ummm. No. I opened and ate before even reading THAT part.

My two-year-old daughter ran in and said, “Mommy! I have a bite? Please? Please? Please?” I gave her a bite sized piece. She came back three minutes later. “More please. Tastes good.” She came back for a third round.

Fine. If my two-year-old can eat buffalo, so can I, dang it.

I’ve gotten over my initial shock…envisioning the native and revered buffalo roaming the land - only to be turned into snack packs. Goodness knows what junk lies within the innards of a 711 Slim Jim and I’ve eaten THAT more than once. Not sure I can go back now.

My husband tasted the spicy Tanka Bites (I am too wimpy to eat spicy food so I tested the mild bites, of course).

The Tanka Bars and Bites are both thick and are made with two main ingredients: low-fat, high-energy American buffalo meat and cranberries. What’s more, their production supports Native American wellness traditions.

S0 - bring on the buffalo.

From the Tanka web site we read: The 70-calorie Tanka Bar delivers a slow, powerful protein punch by mixing two primary ingredients: low-fat, high-energy American buffalo meat and tasty cranberries. This combination is no accident.

It really is a great combination. The bars and bites are both terrific - my husband and I really enjoyed them (as did our ten your old son who tried the bites last night). Try it for yourself! Tanka products can be purchased online or at a number of brick and mortar locations around the country.

When ordering online you may also enter code MOMMYPERKS at checkout to save 10% off any regularly priced merchandise: through September 30th.

And…don’t forget to enter for your very own box of traditional Tanka Bars by commenting below. Never again will you be able to down a Slim Jim.



http://www.mommyperks.com/vip/?p=1941

No comments:

Post a Comment